From Eliot Masie:
- Stacking vs. Replacing the LMS/LCMS! While many organizations have grown beyond the current capacities of their Learning Management Systems and LCMS, there are significantly fewer corporations choosing to make the major capital and implementation investment of replacing their entire enterprise learning technology. Rather, we are seeing more “Stacking”, which means accepting the role of the existing LMS as the base system for the organization and then adding Stacks or Layers on top that will create added and more targeted functionality. Some of the Learning Stacks include:
- Competency or Talent Management Layers.
- Assessment or Feedback Layers.
- Compliance or Regulatory Layers.
- Career Development Layers.
- Collaboration and Social Networking Layers.
- Gamification or Engagement Layers.
- Globalization Layers.
In other words, some organizations are shifting from replacing their LMS to adding these technologies on top of the LMS. Some may be limited to a specific line of business or segment of learners. Others are layered in almost as extensions of the LMS, using the core code for transaction tracking and shared data exchange – but the functionality is found in the layer. One might call it a “LMS Inside” approach.